CONCORD, N.C. (FOX 46 CHARLOTTE) – Friends, family, and community members remembered the life of a fallen hero on Thursday night.
Officer Jason Shuping’s close friends gathered in prayer in front of his patrol car at the Concord Police Department Thursday evening.
25-year-old Shuping was killed in the line of duty while responding to a carjacking call. He’s the second local officer killed in the last week.
“At a time like this we need to be there for them,” said Susan Hunter of Concord.

After hearing about the deadly shooting, Hunter and her kids brought food and care packages to the Concord Police Officers.
“We felt we had to do something for our community,” Hunter said.
Shuping, who spent just a year-and-a-half with the department, was ambushed by Jeremy Davis, according to investigators.

Shuping was killed in the shootout. Fellow Officer Kaleb Robinson was also shot but suffered non-life-threatening injuries.
“I hope that the public can imagine and appreciate the shock, the pain, and the suffering that this family is going through right now,” said Concord Police Chief Gary Gacek.
The 29-year-old suspect was also killed in the shootout. According to prison records, Daniels served two years in prison, from 2010 to 2012, for an armed robbery conviction out of Mecklenburg County.
MORE FROM FOX 46 CHARLOTTE
- Man, 75, dies months after being struck by alleged drunk driver in north Charlotte
- Airport officials say arrive early at CLT as DHS shutdown may impact TSA staffing
- Texas man arrested, accused of stuffing bass with weights at fishing tournament
- Gas climbs 43 cents since last week: These states had bigger jumps, data shows
- World-renowned chef addresses abuse allegations ahead of $1,500-per-ticket event









